Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pretty in Patchwork :: Doll Quilts

One of the best parts of what I do is having the opportunity to design for other people's books. It's great on several levels. First, I get to meet and interact with a lot of fun, interesting people. Also, I'm usually asked to design within certain parameters and that, for me, actually facilitates the creative process. And, finally, other than financial compensation, I almost always get a complimentary copy of the book which allows me to enjoy the work of the author and the other designers.
The book I'm featuring today is no exception.
 Pretty in Patchwork Doll Quilts: 24 Little Quilts to Piece, Stitch, and Love by Cathy Gaubert definitely allowed me to indulge in all the things I love about design work.
For those who don't know Cathy and seeing as this is the internet, there might be one or two of you, she is a person of intense, infectious enthusiasm. From the very first email, I couldn't help but get caught up in her excitement about the book and I think that energy shows in the designs represented and the fun, accessible way the text is presented.
My contribution to the book was, obviously, a mini quilt using hexagons and a favorite piecing technique called Y seaming. The book doesn't officially release until November 1, so I've limited my images to details rather than full views.
I've called this little quilt the Cupcake Quilt as it's kind of related to this design. The finished quilt, made according to the instructions, measures 27" x 23 3/4", but, since it's made in blocks, expanding or shrinking the size of your piece is easy.
As always, I'm excited to see how you all will interpret this design, so, if you happen to make this quilt, please send me an email with an image of your quilt.

6 comments:

Kit Lang said...

Lovely!

Congrats on your inclusion. :)

Does Cathy have a blog or site? If so, can you also include a link to her?

Thanks again for letting us know about the book!

blandina said...

It is a lovely pattern, and probably a lot of scraps could also be included!

Fran said...

Beautiful snippets !
Can't wait to see the whole quilt
( & the book too ) !

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Looks like a cute little book! Thanks for sharing.

cathy gaubert said...

malka, you are just the best (and i was incredibly intimidated when i asked you to be in book...your kind words really make my heart happy!)!! i am sooo looking foward to seeing you at market...and your lovely fabrics!

hanımanne said...

Beautiful:))