Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Two Places at Once

Isn't it great that the internet makes it possible for me to do something that I never can manage in the non-virtual world? I can be both here, blathering in this space and at Whip Up guest blogging over there. I've never been more efficient than I am at this very minute.
Anyway, I put together a little post about my book, Color Your Cloth, and dyeing fabric. I also designed a special pattern just for my guest blogging gig. It's free and available as a PDF from Whip Up.
I had mentioned previously that I was madly in love with the Baktus scarf. The free knitting pattern for that is available on flickr. When Kathreen from Whip Up asked if I'd like to do a guest post about my book, I decided that I wanted to create a special pattern as part of the post. I'd been thinking about how to adapt the Baktus scarf to fabric and wrote to Strikkelise, the scarf's designer, to get permission to rework the pattern in cotton.



Since the focus of the post was hand dyed fabric and crafting with it, I patterned some cotton with a stamp I created by gluing a pair of wine corks to the back of a letterpress stamp I bought on Etsy. Instructions for making stamps out of all sorts of commonly available objects are found in the book. I then backed the patterned front with a hand dyed solid and I had my very own fabric Baktus.



I hope that some of you who've enjoyed making the knitted version will be inspired to sew a Baktus.
Before you decide though, head on over to Whip Up to read my post, check out the free pattern and...oh yeah...enter the give away for a free copy of Color Your Cloth.

5 comments:

stephie @ narrative self said...

Lovely. Erm, sorry but I'm now leaving your blog to go over THERE!!! Have a lovely day :)

stephie @ narrative self said...

BTW Malka, your links aren't working because you've got 2 x http's in the address bar! Work fine if you take one out!

West Michigan Quilter said...

I went over and read your article and now I'm all excited. What lovely things you make! Such bright colors. I must get your book.

Kathy said...

I'm hoping to get your book for my birthday!!! and that's if I don't win it first!

folksmith said...

Loved both articles.
Can't wait to get your book