Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring means...

Sewing. Actually, every season means sewing, but I love sewing clothes especially in the Spring. In Texas, Spring is really a milder extension of the long summer and that requires the right kind of clothes to brave the heat. This year I've started my Spring/Summer sewing by adapting a pattern to mimic a favorite but worn out top from past years.


I've owned this top for several years, but now it's stained and even a little holey, so no longer wearable. I had thought about taking it apart and creating a pattern based on it, but the prospect of spending that much time ripping seams wasn't particularly appealing.


I happened upon a Simplicity pattern that resembled the original design enough that I thought I could adapt it.


And I did. I selected the version of the pattern that eliminated the ruffle at the bodice and at the armholes and added the ties around the neck edge instead of a collar or facing. I also sewed in fewer buttonholes and buttons because I didn't think that I'd ever want to button it to the neck.
The Swiss dot fabric came from Purl Patchwork online.


It came out pretty much as I envisioned it and I'm definitely planning a second one...maybe even a third.

15 comments:

Kristin L said...

I like your adjustments. I have a similar pattern (and fabric) that I may have to follow your lead with. :-)

Deb Lacativa said...

I had a beautiful white sweater that I love that got a stain in the same spot and I took the opportunity to embroider a long stemmed, leafy yellow rose to cover it.. Maybe some
free form applique?

Diane Cransac said...

you did a lovely job adapting that pattern! Just a suggestion- if the holes are repairable have you considered dyeing your shirt? I just dyed a shirt yesterday that my husband stained while working. I find it gives new life to those favorites that are starting to look 'old'

Waldeck Dry Goods said...

Looks great, and the fit is perfect! I have a favorite from last summer that is looking a little gross-- maybe I'll be able to find a similar pattern, too. Great job!

Andrea R said...

There's a book called "Making patterns from finished clothes" which details to process of how exactly to trace your garment *without* taking it apart at the seams.

It works well when you get the hand of it, and it's one of my favorite and most-recommended sewing books.

Although the top looks simple enough, you shoudl be able to just trace it anyway, add seam allowances and there ya go.

Tamara said...

Very cute! I love the fabric.

Margaret said...

The tucked yoke of your original garment reminded me of New Look 6647, which I've been trying to find at my local stores lately. I don't think you want the fitted waist, though. Interferes with the air conditioning!

The Wooly Wumpus said...

What a great top! I like your version better than the Simplicity version!

erica said...

Great adaptation! This looks wonderful!

Let Me Not Forget said...

That shirt is fantastic! Thanks for some inspiration!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Very nice! I wish I could make clothes.

StudioCherie said...

Hi, Malka, I just stopped by to say I am a huge fan (I think you may know that already.) I just read your post linked (from flickr)to the twinkle king sized quilt and found it inspirational. I wish you ever more success.

Chris Daly said...

Any chance your old top is cotton? I like to overdye my clothes when they get stained. If I don't like the look they end up being used for gardening.

Beth Walker / Evan Walker said...

Thats beautiful. How difficult is this pattern? I don't like spending more than a couple days on one project. Its my craft ADD.

meg said...

the new shirt is lovely, but I would think you would just dye the old one!