Wednesday, October 10, 2007

WIP

Believe it or not, mailing that quilt is still a work in progress. I was going to send it off via UPS, but that proved to be a very expensive proposition. What's with UPS and Fed Ex charging $90-$100 to mail a trackable package across the pond? So, that left crawling back to the post office with my tail between my legs. Except Monday was Columbus Day and the post office is closed in solemn remembrance of this important holiday( my apologies for the sarcasm to all who value Columbus Day). OK, that brings us to Tuesday. I awoke with every intention of getting that package off ASAP. But, Rachel needed to go to the doctor and then, another one, and then to get an ultrasound on her leg. Before I knew it the clock read 5:00 and the post office was closed. My plan today is to actually mail that quilt to it's destination. I am a little nervous because last night on NPR I heard that there's a postal strike in England.
Another work in progress is this quilt. It's heavily influenced by that courthouse steps log cabin quilt I mentioned yesterday. It's made from the leftover fabric I batiked and dyed for the Do Over quilt. I'm still debating the rotation of this quilt. I tend to make pieces that have a vertical orientation, but I'm also strangely committed to not altering a quilt's rotation after I've pieced it. Having just written that down, I realize what a stupid notion that is, but feel that it would be somehow dishonest to present the finished quilt differently than the way I originally constructed it. Sort of like it's orientation was a haphazard afterthought. Oh my, I probably need to get over that.

2 comments:

Donna said...

When I used to work as an online bookdealer, a number of people I knew recommended this service to insure international packages

http://www.u-pic.com/?gclid=CO6U4cvyhY8CFQJsPAod_QKH2g

I used it myself a couple of times, but I never actually had to file a claim so I can't vouch for it personally, but the few sellers I know who did file said they had no problem. Good luck with the package!

Malka Dubrawsky said...

Thanks for the info Donna. I went ahead and sent it yesterday via USPS. I opted for global express so that I could get a tracking number. Keep your fingers crossed.