Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Camping

Camping? in Texas? In July? No, I'm not going camping. I'm not even thinking about it. But, I am teaching some summer camps this summer and having a lot of fun at the same time. And it's all done inside. Whew!
Anyway, I'm teaching a sewing camp this week to a really great group of 9 and 10 year olds(all girls). I started them out with a little tour of their sewing machines. I showed each one the various parts of her machine, demonstrated how to thread it, and then asked her to show me that she knew how to thread it on her own. This I learned from the first time I taught kids to sew on machines. I was so excited to see what they would make that I had them just start on their first project without giving them a lot of instruction on machine use. Well, I spent the next few days constantly rethreading machines, winding bobbins and fixing other little mishaps. Things have been different since then. I became a big believer in a little bit of knowledge can go a long way.
Their first project is coasters. This allows them to learn about piecing, maintaining a seam allowance, putting right sides together, etc.
They started out piecing strips.
Once they felt pretty comfortable with that, I showed them how to make log cabin like blocks and half square triangles. I've really been impressed with these girls. Sometimes kids will complain that something new is too hard and be reluctant to try. These girls, however, have been super eager and excited to learn new things.
We began the second project today. The girls each took their measurements and drafted a pattern for a top. I based the project on this tutorial , although I had to make a few changes. Needless to say, I made myself a version of the tank as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a fun and awesome summer camp!

Anonymous said...

how fun, to teach what you love. And the fact that they were all so eager makes it that much better. If I ever get the chnce to teach a group of children to sew, I have your experience to know to teach them the "basics" first. Thanks.

Thimbleanna said...

Love your new top! Sounds like a fun experience. And thanks for sharing your advice for us to teach the basics first -- it's a great thing to remember when teaching a newbie!

Malka Dubrawsky said...

The class is a lot of fun, but hard work. They have lots of questions.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish they had sewing camp when I was growing up! I would have absolutely loved it. How nice to hear that the girls are enjoying it so much!